Monday, January 29, 2007

Visitors Book from 2000

Hi again,
I haven't been around for a while, decided to take some time out and went to my parents house in ye olde country and did some proper country stuff like horse riding and feeding sheep!!!!!!! (My parents live opposite a farm and i've been helping them out - the smell of horse manure has just about left me now!!!!!!) Caught up with lots of old friends and participated in a lot of drinking, eating and sleeping!! I'm having my tooth veneered tomorrow which is just in time as I'm off to London tomorrow for a chrity ball at Alexandra Palace - how posh!!
Hope the penguins are feeling better and that they haven't injured too many people - i still have a little scar to remind me of my experience.
I have got some pics for you but I haven't had them copied yet mainly because i'm a lazy arse but I promise I will send them soon.
Thanks for the pics they were very amusing, I sent them round to a few friends, so you never know where they'll end up!!!!
Bye for now
Love
Debs xxxxxxx 3/8/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Mel 26/7/2000
Hey hey we´re the monkeys!!!
Have you missed me??? I´m back and am having a surge of energy.... so decided to write to everyone and tell you how wonderful you are...... ACHTUNG: some-of-you may receive this twice, some-of-you won´t receive it at all, some-of-you will probably wonder who the hell i am, some-of-you will delete it before reading becuase you think i want to show you explicit pics of somethingarather....
I´d like to apologise now for being such a slackarsed cow and not dropping a line before now but as you know..... IT`S NOT EASY BEING MEL!!!
Well, here we all are.... it´s clocked over to the year 2000, year of the Dragon....
And the world survived, man IS immortal and we´re not planning on leaving this little ol planet until we´ve really FUCK IT ALL UP!!! Nothing too amazing happened in any of the worlds Charkra points. Jerusalem for Christmas and New Year was fairly low key.... alot of the normal drunken debauchery thanks to Jodie Monkey and alot of rain unfortunately but alas there are still alot of people waiting to see the dude in the loin cloth and hear a statement something to the words of...
"These are thy Hands" as he runs down from the second mound of the Mount of Olives to the Golden Gate and crashes through 8m of stone to collect his claim... (this piece of fact was brought to me by Joe... not the dude that works in the Button Factory but Joe from Joes´Controversial City Tours in Jerusalem)..... i am afraid Joe´s just going to have to wait!!! He seemd to be a very patient man anyhow.
We also survived the Polar Eclipse which occured earlier this year, though you may not have even been aware of it´s happening.... from what i heard it is an aligning of the planets in our Solar System which was supposed to cause such a strong magnetic pull on the Earth that it would be rocked from its axis, causing worldwide devastation, havoc and mayhem again. Then the world would start spinning in the other direction.... "and when the sun rises from the West..." It could have been a really exciting year, but alas.... here we all are spinning in the same direction we´ve been turning in for millions of years.
I am in a land that i never expected i´d be to spend a large portion of 2000... i had such big plans for this year.... Cameroon with the Antman and then my dream trip... One year Landie tour of Africa.... starting West Coast, then East.... finishing maybe never. I´d also promised Mummy Dearest that this year i would definitely be home for Christmas, but knew i could probably stall that one for yet another year.... funny, but it looks like being home for Christmas is the only plan that is going to happen. Instead of the fun fulled adventures i´d planned, i decided to come to Barberian Barvaria Germany.... to dwell in the anal city of Munich and spend the socalled sommer, after a very long cold cold cold winter, trying to learn to speak German, renovating my new 2 room apartment and reminisce back 4 years to the first time i was here in Munich with the soul purpose to drink rather large beers, try to sleep somewhere warm and dry and avoid going back to London with all the other Kiwis after the money had dried out at the Oktober Fest. But as i said before.... IT`S NOT EASY BEING MEL!!! Munich is a long long way from the sea and the fishes that are my friends.... but i have a bathtub, a rubber duck , my snorkel and mask and a 1 foot rubber Shark.... i know it sounds kinky but believe me it is my only means of survival!!!!;Achtung Achtung: Alles kaputt!! Ask Johnny Sausage!!! Alas my big 2000 plans have been prosponed but not cancelled and i´ve embarked on an adventure of another kind.... humankind.... a lifetime adventure. You see, last year while i was working at the Green Elephant Backpackers Cape Town South Africa, i met a very special person.... i know that i am always meeting special beautiful people everywhere but this person, his name is Oli and need i say more??! Okay i will.... eventually Oli had to fly back to Germany to continue his Uni Studies and student life while i continued life in South Africa knowing that it was time to make one of my Great Escapes soon, i was digging my tunnel..... I had big plans for Bethlehem at Christmas and then to sit on top of the Giza Pyramids and watch 2000 roll in.... planes falling out of the sky, destruction etc etc!!! I flew to Isreal and waited for der Oli.... and Jodie Monkey. We walked to Bethlehem in the rain on Christmas Eve and spent the night sitting in the big square infront of the Church where THE STABLE is localled and drinking the Holy Wine and Beer and eating the Holy Kebabs..... but have a small confession: For the New Year... 2000 the one we´ve all been waiting for....Oli and i got stuck in Aquaba, Jordan.... a Muslim Country in the middle of Ramadan for New Year. NO ALCOHOL We even fell asleep before 12 o´clock.... but our Hotel was nice and we had a
Bidet in the bathroom to wash our feet.... Just to let you know... The lost city of Petra was the definite highligh of my trip. If you ever get the oportunity don´t hesitate...... GO!!! But use the backdoor because it´s alot more fun.
And here i still am in Munich, thanks to Big Mike who booked my ticket from London. In about 5 weeks Oli and I are going to have a little baby.... well, i sure hope he is going to be little!!! He´s a gift from the Promised Land so how could we refuse!?? See i have had a busy year regardless of all my foiled plans. My belly is round like a ball and i have put on about 10kg and increasing but this is one of the most amazing experiences in life.... it is life ... and love!
In November we will be flying to New Zealand to spend Christmas at home. Oli wants surf and see my country and i want to see my Family and be at the beach and dive and ofcourse have a decent sommer! ( thunder claps in the background )
Well, boys and girls was going to keep it short but had loads to say.... If anyone is coming over for the Oktober Fest.... feel free to come visit or Doss on the floor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Anita 21/7/2000
name : Nita
MESSAGE : Images of being violently ill from too much of everything and being shouted at by the professor are memories that will last a life time. Have some amusing photos especially of Arthur if ya want copies!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Green Elephant,
Just wanted to send a special thanks to everyone on the staff - all your help with planning and advice on where to spend my time was FABULOUS!! Thank you again! Cape Town is a great place to live and enjoy, I hope I will be back there in the future.
Un abrazo fuerte, Johanna Bell 10/7/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Robin and Defa....Hi from Amanda in England (c. February). Hope everyone in the Ele is having as much fun as I did when I was there, have seen Jo and the mad aussie a couple of times, also Jess (UK) and Todd (Canada) in Edinburgh. Getting back to normal life sucks but hey someone's got to do it!!! Trying to pay back all those debts I ran up but also having fun with my new computer....hey Rob, great job on the website!!!
Please Rob if you have time, could you mail me with Nomads address down there, I've searched their web page with no luck and thought that as I was going to drop you a line then I might as well ask you!!!! I have some pics to send them.
Keep smiling and living life to the full........Amanda 18/6/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Hello everyone.
Just a quick note to say that my elective is now well and truely over and that I am having to do some work which is not going down very well at all! Nick is still missing as many lectures as he can - no change there then! I've just started paediatrics and the idea of lots of small children makes
me slightly edgy! Miss the briars, booze and jaccuzi
Thanks for everything and take care. Hope the wedding goes ok.
Love Claire (and Nick) 13/6/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Robin,
just a message from Reunion island, as you can notice the plane didn't crash in the middle of the indian ocean! Oh! I've got to tell you that it's not Peggy who is writing you right now but your "future ex wife", remember now? You were supposed to buy me a wedding ring but you prefered to buy a brand new pair of black shoes in Hong Kong instead: you such a... anyway, I hope that the next time I come to Cape Town you'll pick me up at the airport for free!!! I gave your hostel address to a youth centre hope that people won't be crazy enough to stay there!
I sent an e-mail to Arthur but I don't know if I've got the right e-mail address, say hello to him for me it might be much more easier. Hope that things are alright for you and Difa,
Take care,
Charlotte.x 21/5/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, thanks for forwarding the email... nice to know ole´Dominek is thinking about me. Must be bored! Germany, it does that! Bored or Boring?!! I´ve really coped it big... moving into my own apartment in two weeks in München (with oli).... been living in a student haus for the past few months which is really not dissimilar to the Green Ele except alot more anal!!! Yipp, it´s all very domestiated.... beginning of September the baby is due.... don´t know whether to blame it on the Green Ele for starting yet another international romance or blame it all on something i ate in the
Middle East!!! Ah well, will be an interesting little adventure but still trying to figure out how we´re going to pack him and how old he´ll have to be befroe he can carry his own backpack!
Howz Jane and the baby.... did she have a girl or boy or is it due soon!?
Hope all is well ande everything is swell
love and hugs
mel 19/5/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey It's Greg and Brenda from San Francisco (we were there a month or so ago, the tattooed freaks:))
Thanks again for your hospitality....we can't wait to come back to Cape Town again!!!
Peace man
Greg Smoody & Brenda Semrow 21/4/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Robin, dear Defa,
I know, I am late, but I don´t want to forget to say thank you for the good time we (Oli+ Angelika, Oli) had in Cape Town. Although it was my 3. time, it woulnd´t keep me away from a 4. visit (don´t be scared, because my employer won´t give me the permission this year).
Hope to see you next time (may be in Germany ?).
Greetings (+ a scream: Wynberg + Stomers)
Carsten Neumann 21/3/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi every body in green ELe
How are you? What's happening in cape town or in green ele? For you it's the end of the summer you should be sad!!! for me I nearly finish my school I have just an internship during 3 months in 2 weeks I would like to have news about Robin Defa and Peter and every body I know
bye Cecile 20/3/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Robin,
How are you going? How's the Rugby going? How is my favourite Dog? Still a bit sad that I am here and not there.... lying by the pool with a cool Savannah in my hand... but I think I am getting used to this life again... guess I have to! Are you coming over to Switzerland for the Youth Hostel thing? Would be so great!
I have a broken Max here in my office and I shall place a mail order for a new one!
Hope everything is fine, enjoy the sun!
Luv, Noémie x
20/3/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Robin
Hope alls well and business is booming. Simon Dyer
Cheers Robin
14/3/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey chicks! WOOF!
Just to let you know we got back OK, unfortunately: we were kind of hoping our flight would be cancelled! Really missing you both, what I wouldn't give to be back sunbathing at the Green elephant, or out partying at La Med with you both...... Anyway, hope your last week at the hostel is going smoothly, and you are enjoying yourselves.
It sucks being back here in cold Scotland, but the tan gets lots of attention!!!!
Hopefully see you soon, love and hugs, Kate. xxx
WOOF girls! Keep in touch.
"Smile, love life, live life, and it will smile and love you too" 26/2/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Girls,
Just a quick note to say hi. I'm really missing you both. Have a wild last few days at the G.E.......WOOF ! love from Laura x x x 25/2/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Robbin!
Thanks again for the great service while I was there!
Thanks Blair 21/2/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Robin!!
Thanks for the photoes! Excellent!
Is Jo and Lou still there?? I haven't heard anything from them so I don't
know. send them my love!!Are you still in SA???
Keep in touch love /Hanna 15/2/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there, Amanda here with the up date on the travels......
....couldn't get to Fish River Canyon....nowhere to stay in Grunau and didn't fancy sleeping with petrol attendants on the floor so had to go on to Keetmanshoop. Couldn't get a lift from there and so moved on. Luderizt was okay, a bit boring if it wasn't for Kolmanskop ghost town and meeting a
drunken crowd from Durbs.
Now in WHK staying with a girl I went to school with 18 (!) years ago (how old am I...???) and soon off to Swakop to get the adrenalin going again with some parachuting and sand boarding...!!!!
Hope everyone there is still happy, drunk and running 'amuck', love to all, Amanda 12/2/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
name : Nick
MESSAGE : The Green Ele will remain in my mental scrapbook for years to come. Enjoyed (almost) every minute of the adventure(s) in Capetown. Now I know why everyone travels to South Africa. -Nick/October 99, USA 3/2/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Robin,
staying at your place in 1994 I met Gerald and Claire. Unfortunately I lost there address and wondered if you do have it or know anything about those two.
I am Doerte and travelled with Kerstin. Later on Gerald and Claire visited us in Durban.
Thanks a lot for your help.
All the best for the green elefant, say hello to Defa( is it still the same on?)
Doerte 24/1/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robin, Lou and Jo !!!!!
I have to begin saying I MISS YOU!!!!!!! ………….. lots! Yea, I'm back in good old Sweden, if it's good I don't know. But anyway it's the face fact. To be honest I hate it! The weather is as expected cold, but fortunatelly it hasn't rained yet! The sun was actually shining today and it was more than six degrees. Can you imagine!!!
The flight went well but I had the most boring people next to me, I think they must be Englands most boring family. I really tried to talk to them but they refuse to reply so I gave up. Maby it was because of the smelling of a springbock from my breathe, I don't know. Anyway I slept the whole way, so it was fine.
Back at the airport in Sweden my whole family was there to wellcome me, and my father gave me a chocolate-roose, isn't that cute??!!! I've been sorted things out now the past days so it's time for my next trip soon, no to bee honest I think I'll begin study next week, if I don't I'll do……………..??????????????????????????????? ???? something I'll find out.
So how is everything at the Green Elaphant ?? Is it empty after everyone has left? The whole big family! I had such a great time with you guys, I wish I was still there.
Robin- Thanks for everything!!!!!! I was for sure the last person onboard !!!!Pretty drunk as well!! Miss ya Lou- I've ate SEMLOR idag. Det var jättegott. I'll send you the recepy! Saknar dig älskling!!Jo- Oh honey, Are you still loved up?? He was a nice guy, and you'll see
him soon dont't you?? Miss you!
Hope you're all well. Write back soon
Puss och kram Hanna (Lou explain what it means) 19/1/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dear robin,
do you remeber me or us? it's liz, came a couple of times last year to the green elephant, with emma, adam, cathy, kieran, and again in september with kieran and a couple of others?? well i hope you kind of do!! i'm planning a return visit to south africa - can't escape me! But really want to travel mozambique and milawi or zimb. and the real question i have to ask is what the best way to get about these places is - you're the only person i really thought would have a clue and be of any help it would be really appreciated! Any ideas?
i hope this finds you splashing around in jacuzzis, drinking and being very merry and hopefully not too run off your feet with your expanding hostel enterprises - the best in cape town, south africa or maybe even the world!!
take care, lokk forwad to hearing from you
love from liz 10/1/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Robin,
Thanks that you have done all this for me.I shall tell all my friend how beautifull it is there up in Cape Town.Yesterday I finally finished my photoalbum of the South African trip. So I can proof that. Except the last day, I keep good memories of this holyday,
Again many thanks,
How was the celebration of the millenium? Was it cool the fireworks and do you know something about what is happened on Robben Island?
sorry that I mail so late, but by these I want to wish you all the best for 2000.
In holland it is awfully cold and it even had frozen last night. So for me it was very difficult to get up and go to my work. I work for a pensioenfund in Zeist , a city near Utrecht.
Over about one month I finish my internmentship here, so there is a lot of work to do. But i like it here very much. How is the bussiness overthere, it had to be very crowded over there with the millenium party.
Many thanks for everything, till mails
Martijn van Rijn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there! I hope you're all fine, whereever you are.
I'm sorry to send you all the same mail, but I'm very attached to my laziness...
I'm also sorry to send you this so late, well err...same reason. So, it looks like there was no y2k bug at all... I'm very disappointed. The good side of the story is that I'm still alive enough to send you this. For those of you who are in summer now, on a beach or something, no, no, I absolutely don't envy you, I thought a couple of pictures might be refreshing...
Well, it's winter here, there is snow and ice - you know, the thing you put in your drink - but it sometimes looks like Siberia...
That's it. I'm sorry, this mail could take time to open... Technology still has its limits.
All those pictures are taken in Belgium in the village where I grew up as a kid. This is a nice atmosphere for christmas, isn't it?
I hope to see you some time and by the way HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
yes, I know, it's a bit late... sorry sorry sorry
sent by Yorik van Havre 9/1/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Rob!
Hey Rob! (If you are there)Are you bored these days. How long did it take to add all names of all guests on the net? And what for? (Well, I looked up my name already...). Planning a trip with Angelika for February. One week Namibia, one week CPT. But money is a bit short. We just moved together and women are into "Extreme Flat Designing" more than i thought. So actually i´m bankrupt. Went to Portugal in September, tried that "all inclusiv holiday". Never again. Hell. I was thinking of the good old Bushmans Room all the time, Hunters, La Med, Pool with Defa, Stormers. Missing you all very often.How are you all. Little Richard is growing, ha?! Must start in the Rugby Club soon. Well, greetinx to everybody, specially Jane, Defa and the management.Love, Oli24/10/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello people,
I just want to wish you a happy new year, all the best for your future. Hope everybody is allright. Often I remember the days I spent in the 'elephant on castle'. I really did enjoy it! Maybe I'll come again this summer (winter in Africa), but thats not sure yet. For new year I've been skiing in Austria and I had a great time there, too. That's all for now! Greetings from Germany
Anne ( I was in Cape Town last year in September with my friend Annette) 4/1/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi Robin and Defa
happy new year!! I think you did a big party in green ele with a beautifful weather, jacuzzi and champagne I hope everybody is OK for me all was good: but in france it's cold and I am in
school so it is boring Robin I want to tell you thank you for my internship it was a really good experience with friendly people in a nice town and my english improve so it is good see you later
cecile 3/1/2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just want to say Hello! I often remember my stay at the green elephant in january/february and the friendly people I met there. I´ll never forget. It was a great experience to go to south africa and to stay there for a while. Best wishes for all of you. If possible I will come back again. Thanks, cu Eva 25/10/00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How are you? And all at the Green Elephant? I hope is everybody fine. Have you jumped from the balcony to the swimming pool? Kisses for all at the Green Elephant, Patrícia.2/11/00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello to everybody !I wish you a merry Christmas and look in cooperation with you forward for a successfully, new Year 2001. Felix the one, who sends nice German people to one of the most beautiful places in the world - South Africa.Felix Haug23/12/00

No comments: